Purpose of our Biodiversity Statement
Tencent's philosophy of biodiversity conservation is formed based on the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDGs), the Convention on Biological Diversity’s (CBD) Kunming-Montreal Global Biodiversity Framework, and China’s Ecological Conservation Strategy.
Our strategy and approach to biodiversity is outlined in this statement and will be, to the best of the company’s ability, integrated into its global operations as well as the provision of its products and services.
Why is biodiversity important to us?
- Biodiversity is fundamental to the well-being of mankind and the health of the planet. However, biodiversity loss has been identified as one of the most daunting global risks. To restore the natural ecosystem, a concerted effort is needed to transition the existing excessive consumption business models to sustainable production and consumption; to develop nature-positive business models; to find and implement solutions to pressing issues, such as changes in land and sea use, overexploitation of natural resources, climate change, and environmental pollution.
- As a leading Internet technology company, Tencent seeks to uphold its mission and vision, "Value for Users, Tech for Good", and to develop innovative products and services that improve the quality of life of people around the world. Therefore, we believe taking action to protect nature, enhance human well-being, and promote a sustainable and healthy planet is necessary.
- We realize that internet technology plays a vital role in nature conservation. On the one hand, we have improved natural resource efficiency during our operations while providing more eco-friendly cloud services. On the other hand, we will leverage our technological advantages to enable ecosystem conservation.
How we govern our biodiversity initiatives
Tencent's commitment to, and investment in, biodiversity protection builds on its ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) governance structure, which is overseen by the Board of Directors via the Corporate Governance Committee, coordinated and managed by the ESG Working Group, and implemented by the Biodiversity Special Committee.
Our strategy and approach
- Developing our business in an eco-friendly way
We attach great importance to the management of nature-related risks and opportunities and are committed to reducing our dependence on natural resources, such as land and water. Considering the adverse effects of climate change on biodiversity, we have also pledged to achieve carbon neutrality across our operations and supply chain by 2030. At the same time, we continue to work to conserve ecosystems and endangered species in order to generate nature-positive outcomes.
In the future, we will apply nature-related assessments and frameworks to identify, analyze, and assess the impacts of our business operations on biodiversity and natural capital, and to develop relevant strategies.
- Utilizing technology to promote sustainable use and protection of natural resources
We apply the technologies of the Industrial Internet to improve the efficiency of various industries; to help agricultural and other industrial sectors reduce their dependence on natural resources while meeting their needs; and to transition towards a nature-positive economy, thus enhancing the well-being of communities and individuals.
We apply technologies such as AI and cloud computing to Nature-based Solutions (NbS) to tackle digitalization and efficiency issues in the process of ecological conservation.
- Utilizing Internet technologies to raise public awareness
We launch nature- and science-related products and services on our online platforms to raise the public’s awareness and understanding of the value of biodiversity and to promote broader engagement.
Feedback and report
Our efforts around biodiversity conservation will be disclosed in the ESG Report. If you are interested in our latest developments, please visit our webpage https://www.tencent.com/esg.html.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact us ESG@tencent.com.
James Mitchell John Lo
Co-chairs of ESG Working Group